Membership is what sets us apart from the banks.
When you choose to bank with Williams Lake and District Credit Union, you're supporting
the local economy, communities, events, organizations, causes and initiatives.
Here are 10 great reasons to become a member:
1. You're the Owner - as a member, you're also an owner. Because of this, members play a critical democratic role in the Credit Union by electing our Board of Directors. The Board is responsible for overseeing the direction of the Credit Union and casting a ballot in Director elections has a direct influence on our future.
2. Best in Service - for more than 15 years, Credit Union's have won the IPSOS Customer Service Excellence Award. We're proud of the superior service we provide to our members.
3. Bank Anywhere - our digital banking platform allows you to bank how, when and where you want. On top of that, our branches offer convenient hours if you prefer to pop in and talk face-to-face.
4. You Get the Best - as a member-owned financial institution, our products, services and rates are designed with you in mind.
5. We Are Local - as a local financial institution, decisions are made here by employees who live here and understand the local economy.
6. Nationwide ATMs - through THE EXCHANGE® ATM network, you get surcharge-free access to ATMs across Canada to make withdrawals and deposits.
7. You Come First - people before profits is more than a catchphrase. Our employees invested in doing what's right and what's best for our members. We don't have sales targets because you're more than revenue to us.
8. Community Support - as a community-focused organization, we love to support local organizations, events, initiatives and causes. You can learn more about how we support our communities here.
9. Peace of Mind - deposits you make with the Credit Union are fully guaranteed by the Credit Union Deposit Insurance Corporation of British Columbia.
10. Member Dividends - by owning Membership Shares, you're entitled to receive dividends as declared by our Board of Directors. In 2019, our member dividend was 4%.
How to Become a Member
Becoming a member of Williams Lake and District Credit Union is easy!
When you open your membership, you'll need to invest in Membership Shares as follows:
|Membership Type||Membership Share Requirement|
|Adult Member (19 years of age and over)||$25|
|Second Adult Member on a Joint Account||$5|
|Junior Member (up to and including 18 years of age)||$5|
|Businesses and Organizations||$25|
Membership Shares are not a fee, instead they represent each member's investment (and ownership) in the Credit Union. Membership Shares are eligible to earn dividends as declared by the Board of Directors and can be redeemed if you happen to close your membership in the future.
When you're ready to open your membership, pop into your local branch and meet with one of our Financial Service Reps. Of course, you'll need a couple of pieces of identification - at least one piece of primary identification and one piece of secondary identification:
|Acceptable Primary Identification
|Provincial ID Card*|
|*Please note that a Provincial ID Card must be accompanied by two pieces of secondary identification.|
|Acceptable Secondary Identification
|Certificate of Indian Status|
|Major Credit Card|
If you're planning to open a business membership, we'll need some extra information from you. Click here to learn what we'll need to open a membership for your business.
We look forward to welcoming you as our newest member.